Week 2 Submission #1: Formal Letter

Dear Professor Brad and my fellow classmates,


My name is Valerie, and the purpose of this letter is to allow me to introduce myself. In 2021, I graduated from biomedical engineering at Nanyang Polytechnic. During the duration of my diploma, the process of being able to bring to life inventions from ideas and concepts made me want to pursue a career in the engineering industry. As I wanted to widen my future career opportunities, I decided to try applying to the various engineering degree programs available in Singapore. I was lucky enough to be accepted into this mechanical engineering program.


I believe that one of my communication strengths is the ability to spot most grammatical errors, especially in my own writing. This strength has led me to take up the role of proofreading reports and assignments for my teammates in the past. However, I still believe that there is always room for improvement, and hope to hone this skill of mine through this module. 


One communication weakness that I have is that I tend to take a while to formulate my sentences and responses. I have started sentences that trail off midway in the past, which has caused me to have to take a step back for a moment to recollect my thoughts. I believe this to be a weakness, as I have witnessed it breaking the flow of conversation and making the ambience awkward.


My first goal for this module is to know the names of all of my classmates and be able to connect their names to them, as this is an issue I have struggled with in the past. My second goal is to learn how to better articulate my thoughts, which should help with the weakness I mentioned earlier in this letter.


I believe that what differentiates me from my classmates is that I am my own person. Though we may all be fellow classmates, I believe that everyone, with our own backgrounds, personalities and aspirations, will react and behave differently. The potential of different opinions and reactions is something I find very interesting, especially when we tend to assume that others would react the same way as we do.


Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I hope to get to know everyone better through this module.


Yours sincerely,

Valerie


Edited 8/2/2022

Comments

  1. Hello Valerie! Thank you for your letter! I really love the way you organize your words as not only was it clear, it was informative as well. I think that it is great that you managed to connect your weakness to one of the goals you wish to achieve in this module. I think your letter would be even better if you could elaborate more on which aspect of engineering that really sparked your interest so that we can get to know you better!

    I wish you luck in achieving your objectives!

    Yan Ning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yan Ning!

      Thank you for the feedback, I will make sure to include the elaboration, as suggested. I hope to get to know you better through this module!

      Thank you!

      Valerie

      Delete
  2. Dear Valerie,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and informative letter. You do a good job covering the scope of the assignment as you explain your educational background, study aim and communication skill levels. You add your goals for the module, which seem very reasonable. What's noteworthy is your language fluency and the fact that you have even done editing. I'm sure that skill will be a boon not just to the project team for this module but for any teams you might serve on as you prepare your report.

    This also seems to be an honest reflection with you even mentioning how you tend to forget classmates' names. I'm not sure what to recommend for that other than for you to reach out more and even ask your peers for their names when needed. At the same time, while your language use is fluent, there is still the need for you to take note of the overuse of caps in paragraph #1.

    I look forward to reading more from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prof Brad,

      Thank you for your feedback! I will do my best to utilize your advice.

      I look forward to learning even more from you this term alongside my classmates!

      Valerie

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts